Saturday, January 8, 2011

Why blog?

In April 2006, Rebecca Blood interviewed blogger Meagan Reardon about her blog Not Martha

Reardon started her blog in 2001 to document things that sparked her own interest. She was blogging for herself, and the popularity of her blog was just an added bonus. 

During the interview, Blood asked Reardon:

"Is there something about blog writing that is easier or less threatening for you?
I think of it as something completely separate. I don't have to write on a specific subject or fulfill a number of words. Simply because I'm not responsible to anybody else takes away all anxiety. All the potential humiliation is completely my own. Even more important — I have control over the final product. I can edit it, or remove it and pretend it never existed."
I like this answer because I agree with Meagan's blogging philosophy. It should be personal, non-threatening, and enjoyable. Meagan mentions she doesn't have to fulfill a certain number of words or write about a certain topic. Despite that this class, however, does have prompts, and has a minimum number of words I have to write, I believe I am given enough freedom to make this blogging experience personal, non-threatening and enjoyable. 
Another question Blood asked Reardon is:
"How has your weblog changed your life?
It's made me aware of a much larger world and put me in touch with people I would never know otherwise. It's also made me aware that people are much kinder and weirder than we allow ourselves to be in public. It's such a relief."
I take comfort in reading Reardon's answer because I agree 100%. People tend to be "more themselves" when the pressure of being in public is off. Online, you can be the person you really are and branch out of the box of "norms". When in public, I find it much harder to be who I really am, for fear of humiliation, judgement, failure, etc. Personal blogging, however, will free you from the harsh world public humiliation, and you can get in touch with people who have similar interests, similar hobbies, and similar personalities. Everyone is weird. Most people are afraid to show that weird side in public though. Online, however, you take a weird person with good writing skills, and you've got one interesting blog to read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment